Structure Fire: 2783 Lexington Court

2008 final maltese_1

625 Ute Avenue, Grand Junction, CO 81501

Phone: 970-549-5858 FAX: 970-549-5810

News Release

For Immediate Release

Contact: Duncan Brown, Battalion Chief (970) 549-5900

Date: December 10, 2014

Address: 2783 Lexington Court

Alarm Type: Structure Fire

Time Dispatched: 10:28 p.m.

Time on Scene: 10:33 p.m.

The Grand Junction Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 2783 Lexington Court. Initial reports indicated a shed fire near a house.

The first fire unit on scene provided updated information indicating this was a separate room on the first floor of the home which was heavily involved in fire. This room was attached to the outside of the home and accessible only from the outside of the home. The fire had also spread to a bedroom on the second floor through a window which was broken by the heat of the fire.

All occupants had safely evacuated from the home, but one occupant was attempting to re-enter the home in search of the family cat. Firefighters and law enforcement personnel ensured the occupants of the home were kept safely outside. The cat was not found in the home by firefighters.

Firefighters battled the first and second floor blaze. Additional crews responded to the scene to assist with fire control, interior search, smoke removal, utility shutdown and checking for additional fire extension.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the second floor blaze and extinguished the first floor fire in approximately 30 minutes. The home sustained extensive fire and smoke damage on the first and second floors. Two adults and six children were displaced by the fire. Red Cross was called to the scene and provided assistance with temporary lodging for the family.

A total of 27 fire personnel responded to this fire. There were no injuries.

The fire is currently under investigation.

Safety Note: Placing things that can burn too close to heating equipment, such as space heaters or placing heating equipment too close to things that can burn, such as upholstered furniture, clothing, mattress, or bedding, was the leading factor contributing to ignition in fatal home heating fires and accounted for more than half (53%) of home heating fire deaths. – See more at: http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/causes/heating#sthash.ghrxIgI4.dpuf

-###-