At 12:48 the Grand Junction Fire Department and Lower Valley Fire Department responded to reports of a fire in a detached garage in the 920 block of 22 Rd. The first units responding on scene found the garage to be fully engulfed in flames. The property owner immediately notified the departments that everyone had safely evacuated both the garage and the nearby home. The investigation following the incident determined that the fire was accidentally set when a small fire from a propane torch got out of control.
The Grand Junction Fire Department responded with Engine 3, Engine 5, Ambulance 1, a Medical Officer, a Battalion Chief , and an Administrative Chief. Lower Valley Fire Department responded with Engine 32 and Water Tender 32.
The Grand Junction Fire Department would like to remind the community that open burning season ends Saturday, September 30th. Even when used carefully, fire can spread extremely quickly. When conducting a permitted burn, it’s important to take precautions that allow you to quickly extinguish a fire in case it gets out of control. For more information on this incident contact the Community Outreach Office of the Grand Junction Fire Department at GJFirePIO@gjcity.org.