At 16:51 this evening the Grand Junction Fire Department responded to reports of a trailer on fire in the area of 620 Highway 50. Upon arriving on scene crews found a mobile home engulfed in flames with fire threatening two nearby trailers. Two adults safely evacuated the home and it is unknown if their two cats were able to escape. By 17:05 crews were able to fully extinguish the blaze.
All five GJFD engines responded to the call, along with an ambulance, a Battalion Chief, and a Medical Officer. One lane of southbound Highway 50 was closed allowing crews to access the nearest hydrant. The home involved in the fire is estimated to be a total loss. GJFD will be investigating the scene to determine where and how the fire started.
Victim advocates and the American Red Cross responded to help the displaced family. Excel Energy was also called to the scene to restore power lost to many homes in the park.
The Grand Junction Fire Department would like to remind residents living in mobile home parks to install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in their homes and test them every month. Residents should practice regular fire safety: never leave cooking unattended, don’t smoke inside, and keep heat sources at least three feet from items that can catch fire. For more information on this incident, contact the Community Outreach Office at (970)549-5858 or by e-mail at GJFirePIO@gjcty.org.