GJFD Responds to Home Fire

IMG_7753

At 1812 Sunday night the Grand Junction Fire Department responded to reports of explosions and a possible home fire in the 430 block of North 18th St. When the first crew arrived on scene at 1818, they found that two adults and two dogs had safely evacuated the home. As crews entered the home they found the basement of the home had filled with heavy smoke, and charring was present on the walls and ceiling. The heat from the fire also ruptured water pipes which may have helped to put out the fire.

A Battalion Chief, three fire engines, one fire truck, a Medical Officer, an ambulance responded to the call and the Grand Junction Police Department assisted with scene security. The estimated damage to the home is approximately $4,000. The family was displaced but declined Red Cross assistance.

The Grand Junction Fire Department would like to remind the community to stay safe this holiday season by following these fire safety tips: never leave cooking or candles unattended, don’t overload electrical outlets or utilize extension cords as permanent wiring in your home, and make sure you have working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors on every level of your home. For more information on this incident contact the Community Outreach Office at GJFirePIO@gjcity.org.