GJFD Responds to Home Fire

IMG_8555

At 1658 this evening the Grand Junction Fire Department responded to a fire at a single family home in the 1200 block of Main Street. Crews arrived on scene to find a garage engulfed in flames, and smoke pouring out of the eaves. No one was in the home at the time of the fire. By 1718 the fire was out, and crews began checking for smoldering spots and making sure the fire did not re-ignite.

Three GJFD engines and one truck responded to the scene along with an ambulance, a medical officer, and a Battalion Chief.  GJPD Victim Advocates and the American Red Cross responded to help the two adult residents who are temporarily displaced from the home. Crews were able to determine that the fire started in the garage, and estimated damage costs of around $20,000.

Keep your family safe- test your smoke detectors every month, and practice a family fire drill. Never leave cooking unattended, don’t overload electrical outlets, and make sure all items that can catch fire are at least three feet from any heat source. For more information on this incident contact the Community Outreach Office at GJFirePIO@gjcity.org.