At 8:49 AM the Grand Junction Fire Department responded to 4th and Main St. for a commercial building that had been evacuated. Employees noticed a strong smell of burning plastic, quickly called 911, and evacuated the building. Upon arriving on scene crews found everyone was safely out of the building, and no active smoke or flames were seen. Crews entered the building and laddered the roof to investigate where the burning smell may have come from. With assistance from the building’s facilities professionals they were able to determine that a motor in a maintenance room had overheated. The motor was rendered safe, and crews evaluated air conditions in the building until it was safe for employees and customers to return to the building.
GJFD responded with three engines, two trucks, one ambulance, a Medical Officer, and a Battalion Chief. Grand Junction Police Department also responded and assisted with traffic control and scene safety.
For more information on this incident contact the Community Outreach Office at GJFirePIO@gjcity.org, or by phone at (970)549-5858.