GJFD Structure Response Caused by Burnt Food

safety_tips_thanksgiving_stand_by_pan.1200x900At 1:12 PM the Grand Junction Fire Department responded to a home on the 1100 block of Orchard Avenue. The call to 9-1-1 indicated that smoke was pouring out of the residence from a swamp cooler. The first GJFD vehicle arrived by 1:15 PM and fire crews were preparing to force entry to the home when a resident arrived with keys. It was quickly determined that the smoke was caused by food left cooking on the stove. Fire crews searched the home for any indication that fire had spread from the stove top and ventilated the smoke with powerful fans.

Accidents in the home are frequently caused by changes in behavior. During the holiday season families enjoy relatives visiting from out of town and prepare many lavish meals. Holiday decorations can change the layout of your home or lead to the unsafe use of electrical cords. You may choose to purchase portable heaters to improve the comfort of your guests. One or all of these changes could lead to a devastating fire in your home.

Take the time to practice an evacuation plan in your home, and share your plan with out of town guests. Make sure that you have working smoke detectors, and test them every month. Leave at least three feet of space around heaters and plug them directly into electrical sockets without using extension cords. Keep decorations or other flammable materials away from candles or cooking surfaces. Enjoy your holiday season responsibly and make safety a priority in your home.

For more information on this incident contact the Community Outreach Office at GJFirePIO@gjcity.org, or by phone at (970)549-5858.